Thursday, June 7, 2007

EACH CHILD IS UNIQUE

If you really want to get your child's attention the next time they complain..."How come she's allowed to do that and I'm not?" simply respond..."Because I love them more." Then stand back and watch the expression. I have used this so many times with mine. The expression is priceless but then we both start laughing as they realize...nah...she didn't meant that.
As parents we love all our children equally. However, if we are honest with ourselves we will admit that we love each child differently. What I mean by that is that all children are different, with different personalites and dispositions.
Take my own children for example. My eldest, my only daughter, and I have a special bond. Part of it is because she is my only girl so we can identify in ways the boys and I can't. We enjoy doing 'girly' things and having 'girlish' discussions.
There is a fine line between being a mother and a friend to your child but with my daughter we have managed the keep that balance. We love to take road trips together. We have this game we play. While in the car on one of our road trips, we are not mother and daughter and anything we say stays between us. Wow, some of the interesting conversations that have taken place! The things we've shared. I almost want to put my hands over my ears and say..."Too much info!" I can honestly say not only is she my daughter, she is also my best friend. She is now 24 and for the last year and half we have been sharing an apartment because we both needed roommates. Eventually we will have our own places, but for now, we are happy with our arrangement.
My eldest son, I consider my right hand man, my rock. He is so level headed and strong and he keeps me grounded. With him I can sit and talk politics, world events. Our conversations are always so interesting. He is also my protector, not that I feel I need one, but he seems to like the role.:) Yes, he is my rock and I am very proud of him.
My youngest son, well he was my rebel. He is/was also my 'partner in crime' and my buddy. When I wanted to do something adventurous or fun, he was the one I would take with me. His wit is unmatched by anyone and he and I could exchange barbs for hours! He is so much fun. Definately a free spirit.
So you see, although I love all my children equally, I do love them in different ways because they are each unique individuals and I wouldn't want it any other way.
Please share with me the uniqueness of your own children. I'd love to hear from you.

4 comments:

Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife said...

I believe this is true. My 2 oldest are completely different. You love them for who they are and they know I love them both the same and appreciate that they can be uniquely different and still be loved.
A Cowboy's Wife

By the way..I appreciate all your comments.

trish said...

Glad to hear someone else feels the same and I am sure there are a lot of other parents out there that do also.

Mahendra Palsule said...

Thanks for sharing. This is insightful. I've just turned a parent, so there's lot of learning! :-)

trish said...

Enjoy your new parenthood. There is nothing I enjoyed more than raising my children. Treasure every moment!