Tuesday, June 19, 2007

ONE ON ONE TIME

Nothing use to frustrate me more than to listen to my children whine. You know what I mean. The constant complaining, nothing was good enough, nothing was right... I use to wonder what was wrong? What was causing them to be so miserable and cranky? Were they tired? Did they have a bad day? What in the world did I do wrong now?

At some point I discovered something that helped. If I spent even 15 min. to 1/2 hour every day with each child, one on one, their mood changed dramatically. Give them some individual undivided attention. This made me realize that maybe all the whining and misbehaving had simply been a cry for attention. "Look at me. Listen to me."

We all get so busy in our day to day lives, especially if you are a working parent. The last thing you want when you walk in the door is to be bombarded by demands for attention. But trust me. If you take the time to give them that individual attention it will make the rest of the evening go much more smoothly and it creates a much more harmonious atmosphere. It also lets your child know that you are there to listen to them and it helps to foster communication that can continue into the tougher teen years.

7 comments:

DubLiMan said...

It's been 11 days since you posted. Is everything alright?

http://mondaymorningpower.blogspot.com

Mahendra Palsule said...

Hi, discovered your blog through Monday Morning Power's blog.

Funny coincidence you writing about one-on-one time. This was exactly the advice I'd written albeit in a different context altogether - about IQ differences between siblings of different ages.

DubLiMan said...

Again, is everything OK???

trish said...

I'm so sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've been really busy helping a friend deal with some issues with one of his children and it's taken up a lot of my time. But...upside is....progress is being made.
Thanks so much for inquiring!!!

trish said...

I tried to find your blog but couldn't????

trish said...

Okay...I got to it now...guess the original link I clicked on didn't work for some reason. Love your latest post! You always have such good ones.

trish said...

Mehendra...it is your blog I am having trouble finding???